The creation of nutrition labels for use in other countries can be a daunting task. There’s the layout, font size, nutrient list, regulatory compliance and a host of other factors to consider. Fortunately, Genesis R&D Foods pretty much automates all of this for you, but it is possible to create a non-compliant label with Genesis R&D. So you still have to enter an accurate recipe using optimal ingredients.
But, creating a Canadian label in Genesis R&D Foods is easy to do.
Note: You must have access to the Canada Label module for Genesis R&D.
- Create a new Recipe by clicking the Recipe icon and selecting New.
- Name your Recipe and enter in the number of servings the Recipe will make. This is important because the nutrition label displays information PER SERVING. Alternatively, you can enter a per serving weight.
- Carefully search for and enter all the ingredients in your Recipe. You will do this by typing in ingredient search terms (full or partial words) and selecting matches from the list returned.
- If your ingredient is not available in the list of search results, you will have to create your ingredient. This is covered in a tutorial here.
- Save often.
- Once you have created and saved your Recipe, click Label Display in the list of Reports. If you only have the Canada Label module for your Genesis program, the resulting label will be a Canadian-rules-compliant Nutrition Facts panel, which looks like this:
- If not, you will see a U.S. label, which looks like this:
and there are a few more steps.
- Right-click on the label and select Settings.
- Select General.
- From the available options in the Regulations, select Canada.
- Click OK.
- From this point, there are several label modifications that you can make within the accepted guidelines. Genesis R&D will guide you in creating a compliant label, according to the guidelines published by Health Canada.